The benefits of living without sex
Sex sells, and thus we constantly hear about the so-called ‘benefits’ of having an active, even promiscuous, sex life. However, we never seem to hear about the whole host of benefits that living without sex can bring. Here are just a few of the many benefits of living a sex-free life, whether it is temporary or permanent. We welcome any additions to the list!
- Biblically and spiritually sound (see No Sex – Biblical References ).
- Enjoy feelings of self worth, empowerment and individuality.
- Socialise with and date the opposite sex without the pressures and awkwardness of negotiating sex.
- Know that someone loves you for who you are rather than what you can give sexually.
- Avoid an unexpected or unwanted pregnancy.
- Avoid catching one of over 20 sexually transmitted infections (see STIs – The Shocking Facts ).
- Enjoy 100% protection against pregnancy and disease. No birth control method can guarantee against pregnancy or STIs. Every method, including condoms, has a failure rate. In lab tests, condoms fail 3% of the time, and studies show that first year condom users experience a 15% failure rate.
- Waiting for sex until marriage is likely to increase your chances of a happy and lasting marriage. Studies have shown that people who have sex before marriage have an increased risk of getting divorced.
- If dating someone who also has the willpower and commitment to stay sexually abstinent, there is the chance to live with your partner before marriage and enjoy the companionship, financial benefits and the knowledge that you are not ‘walking into the unknown’ after tying the knot.
- Join an increasingly popular choice! Yes, sexual abstinence is becoming increasingly popular. A recent survey by the The Family Education Trust showed that around 85% of under-16s have not had sex, and the number of college students in the USA who say they are virgins has doubled in recent years. Several studies have shown that celibacy is becoming more common, even among those with previous sexual experience.
- Avoid the heartbreak, regret, anger and emotional turmoil that a failed sexual relationship brings. Avoid giving away something precious, only to be left feeling used and worthless.
- Learn how to love unconditionally rather than lust. Relationships based on lust are often doomed to fail, since once the lust that held them together has subsided; it leaves behind a void of emptiness. Relationships based on love are more concerned with the unchangeable inner person rather than outer appearances that are changeable over time.
- Enjoy healthier dating without having to focus on sex. Many couples report that having sex ruined their otherwise strong relationship. They somehow stopped getting to know each other as sex became more and more a focus.
- Enjoy feeling emotionally healthy and stronger, more able to face the future. Many people use sex as an escape from the disappointments and pain in their lives, only to find that sex brings them more problems than it solves.